Soup can be a staple before a meal or just eaten as a comfort food or snack during the day. Classic, tasty and healthy! Whether you have guests, friends or just enjoying a cold day, soup is easy to digest and a favorite among many cultures. Keep this handy.
- 4-5 lbs bones and carcass of chicken roast
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 carrots halved
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup white rice (high carb) or crushed almonds (low carb/keto)
- Put chicken in a large pot. Cover with broth and water. Boil over medium-high heat and cook for 20 minutes. Ladle away foam as it appears.
- Remove bones and carcass using tongs and set aside to cool.
- Add carrots, onions, celery and bay leaf to broth. Simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Stir in almonds/rice and cook until rice is firm or about 10-12 minutes
- Shred the meat from the carcass and add it to the broth mixture. Simmer until warm for about 1 minute. Add parsley and add salt to taste.
Soups can be made using chicken leftovers or rotisserie chicken from grocery store
Combine the ingredients and you can make it in a crock pot too
You can buy chicken soup at many grocery stores in cans or deli. Ensure they are low sugar.