In this episode, we talk to Michael Arnstein or "The Fruitarian" who utilizes a fruit-based diet to perform world class marathon runs while trying to understand how or why this diet works?
Michael Arnstein is a 41 year old elite athlete who lives in New York and Hawaii and utilizes a fruit-based diet to boost his performance. He is also the founder of Woodstock Fruit Festival in 2011. His performance records include:
- (run 100+ marathons, best 2:28.12 NYC)
- (4 time Kona Hawaii Ironman finisher, best 9:38)
- (50+ ultra distance races, many major event 1st place finishes)
- Some highlight performances:
- 2 time HURT 100 mile winner
- Vermont 100 mile winner
- Javelina 100 mile winner
- 100 mile PR: 12:57 (track; 7:46 per mile average)
- JFK 50 2nd place 5 hours 50 minutes
- Badwater 135 finisher
- Spartathlon 153 mile finisher
10:10 – How did you get into a fruitarian diet?
17:34 – How do you foster a positive attitude in life?
18:36 – What resources did you use to learn this lifestyle?
21:46 – How do you transition into a fruitarian diet?
25:13 – Is Vitamin B12 deficiency or supplemenation an issue on this diet?
27:50 – What about protein deficiency on this diet?
31:44 – Is there potential science around a fruit based diet?
34:17 – How do you prepare for race day?
36:38 – No drinking water on this diet!?
39:14 – What mangoes are the best in the world?
40:23 – Favorite fruits and fruits you avoid?
43:23 – Salt and do you crave salty foods?
45:09 – What about electrolytes and caffeine?
47:36 – How does the race day fair on a fruitarian diet?
49:09 – What does your physician say about your diet?
50:40 – Are there other athletes who are on a raw fruit diet?
52:07 – Can you make this diet more sustainable?
56:36 – How did this diet impact your social life and relationships?
1:02:00 – Discussion about suffering and compassion
- Shop Energy Pods Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Ketogeek-Chocolate-Energy-Organic-Vanilla/dp/B07B88S36J
- Ketogeek Ghee on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B29HM3D
- Ketogeek Merchandise, Ghee & Energy Pods: https://ketogeek.com/collections
- Ketogeek Newsletter: https://ketogeek.com/pages/sign-up
- Shop Energy Pods: https://ketogeek.com/collections/energy-pods
- Wholesale: https://ketogeek.com/pages/wholesale
Fahad is the founder of Ketogeek and hosts the Ketogeek Podcast, a world class health show about food, nutrition and health. He is into resistance training, Ashtanga yoga, calisthenics and various forms of training styles. Armed with a idealistic goals distilled in a world of realism, his goal is to help the world make a better place. He leads a life of extreme generalism or as he describes it, 'The Renaissance Lifestyle'.